Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

It Happened One Autumn



 The Synopsis:
Four young ladies enter London society with one necessary goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So they band together, and a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

It happened at the ball...

Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden...

When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously—swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed...thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It happened one autumn...

Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable...as his bride?


 My Review:

This is the second in Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower Series. I fell in love with the characters last summer, and when I get a moment or two I find myself rereading this one more than the others. I simply love the play between the characters.

Lillian is a pistol. Her American upbringing so sets her apart from the English girls she's competing against. Kleypas does an excellent job of distinguishing between the two. Also, Westcliff is truly a man's man, but deep down he's gentle and sensitive. Kleypas does an amazing job of making his character strong, arrogant, and a bit pious at times, but not obnoxious. We get to see his complexity, and I love that we get to see him grow. There is one part toward the end where I think that his character would have gone a little darker. I hate spoilers, so I won't give it away, but let's just say I doubt Westcliff would have let our villain get away with what he did unscathed. I think he would have killed him, or at the very least seen him spend quite a bit of his life in prison. If you've read it,I'd love to hear if you agree with me!

Despite the bit at the end, Kleypas has hit another one out of the park. I highly recommend this book!
Posted by: Chi

No comments:

Post a Comment